Expert care for bone cancer in Southern California
What is Bone Cancer?
Bone cancer is an uncommon type of cancer that begins when cells in the bone start to grow out of control. Bone cancer can begin in any bone in the body, but it most commonly affects the pelvis or the long bones in the arms and legs. Bone cancer is rare, making up less than 1% of all cancers. In fact, noncancerous bone tumors are much more common than cancerous ones.
Cancers that form in the bone itself are called primary bone cancers. Many tumors that begin in organs or other parts of the body can spread to the bones, as well as other body parts. These growths are called secondary or metastatic bone cancers.
The American Cancer Society’s estimates for primary cancer of the bones and joints for 2022 are:
- About 3,910 new cases diagnosed
- About 2,100 deaths
Bone Cancer Q & A
Bone cancer is a rare form of cancer. It can begin in any bone, but it is most commonly found in the pelvis or long bones in the arms and legs.
Risk Factors for Bone Cancer
- Inherited genetic syndromes. Certain rare genetic syndromes passed through families increase the risk of bone cancer, including Li-Fraumeni syndrome and hereditary retinoblastoma.
- Paget’s disease of bone. Most commonly occurring in older adults, Paget’s disease of bone can increase the risk of bone cancer developing later.
- Radiation therapy for cancer. Exposure to large doses of radiation, such as those given during radiation therapy for cancer, increases the risk of bone cancer in the future.
Signs and Symptoms of Bone Cancer
Some people with bone cancer have no symptoms other than feeling a painless lump. For others, a variety of symptoms can develop. The most common symptoms of bone cancer include:
- Bone pain
- Swelling and tenderness near the affected area
- Weakened bone, leading to fracture
- Unintended weight loss
Treatment Options for Bone Cancer
Dr. Navid Eghbalieh offers the following minimally invasive treatment options for bone cancer:
- Microwave Ablation
Make an appointment at SCMSC
We look forward to welcoming you
Schedule an evaluation with the doctors at Southern California Multi-Specialty Center.