Dr. Babak Eghbalieh
MD, FACS | Pancreatic and Robotic Surgeon
Dr. Babak (Bobby) Eghbalieh, M.D., FACS, is a renowned board-certified surgeon, who specializes in hepatobiliary pancreatic and general surgery with advanced training in robotic surgery. He is the Director of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery as well as the Director of Robotic Surgery at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center (PHCMC). He has performed over 15,000 operations in his tenure, ranging from general to minimally invasive, robotic and complex surgeries. He serves as the Chair of the Cancer Committee and Cancer Liaison Physician for the cancer program at PHCMC. Dr. Eghbalieh also serves as the Director of Surgical Oncology at Southern California Multi-Specialty Center (SCMSC).
Dr. Eghbalieh treats the following conditions:
Dr. Eghbalieh has an amazing passion for taking care of patients with cancer and providing them with state-of-the-art treatments utilizing a personalized multi-disciplinary plan of care. He offers all his patients who are candidates for surgery, minimally invasive robotic surgery. Dr. Eghbalieh has performed over 2,000 robotic surgeries, more than any other general surgeon in the greater Los Angeles area. He is one of only 20 surgeons in the nation that is recognized as a Da Vinci Surgical System “Robotic Surgery Epicenter.” Furthermore, Dr. Eghbalieh is respected among his peers and medical device companies as an expert in his advanced surgical techniques with robotic surgery, as such, he is a national instructor and proctor for the Da Vinci Surgical System.
In 2017, Dr. Eghbalieh created and built the pancreas and liver surgery program at PHCMC. In doing so, he developed a multi-disciplinary team that specializes in delivering a personalized state of the art care to patients.
His utmost dedication to his patients led him to create a program that achieved the first Pancreatic Cancer Center of Excellence designation in Los Angeles, one of only three in California, by the National Pancreas Foundation at PHCMC. His passion for pancreatic cancer treatment has led him to serve as the co-chair of the Los Angeles Executive Leadership Committee for Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PANCAN). He currently oversees and runs the only pancreatic cancer patient support group in the San Fernando Valley and one of three in all of Los Angeles.
Dr. Eghbalieh completed his residency in general surgery at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF)- Fresno. After completing his general surgery residency, he underwent further specialized advanced training in pancreatic and hepatobiliary surgery at the prestigious Cleveland Clinic. In 2008, at UCSF Fresno, he established both the hepatobiliary pancreatic and the robotic general surgery programs.
As an associate clinical professor of surgery at UCSF Fresno, he spent the next decade as academic faculty in the Department of Surgery. During his tenure at UCSF Fresno, he served in many roles including Vice-Chair of Surgery, Director of Robotic Surgery, Co-Director of the HPB & GI Oncology, Cancer Liaison Physician (CLP) to the Commission of Cancer, Chair of Cancer Committee, as well as the Chairman of the Executive Committee at the Community Medical Centers (CMC) in Fresno, CA.
Dr. Eghbalieh moved to Los Angeles in 2017, where he has established an esteemed surgical practice with his brothers in the San Fernando Valley and Los Angeles area. He has a passion for teaching the next generation of surgeons, medical students, and physician assistants. Currently, he is an Adjunct Clinical Instructor of Surgery to surgical fellows from the Complex General Surgical Oncology Fellowship at Saint John’s Cancer Institute at Providence Saint John’s Health Center. Furthermore, he is an adjunct clinical instructor for Yale School of Medicine Physician Assistant Program.
We are fortunate to have Dr. Eghbalieh in the Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley areas after relocating his practice to be closer to family. When he is not performing life-saving robotic surgeries, he enjoys writing music, traveling, spending time with family, and being active.
Dr. Eghbalieh enjoys philanthropy and loves raising awareness and funds for many causes near and dear to him, including pancreatic cancer. Health and fitness are paramount to his daily life. He takes a special interest in diet, nutrition, and regenerative medicine, applying this knowledge to help with the overall wellness of his patients. Dr. Eghbalieh is also a highly accomplished pianist, but he is best known by his adoring patients for his kind heart, caring bedside manner, and his surgical expertise.
Dr. Babak Eghbalieh is an active member of many surgical societies, including:
- Los Angeles County Medical Association
- American Red Cross- Los Angeles Chapter
- American Medical Association
- Fellow American College Surgery (FACS)
- American Pancreatic Association
- Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (AHPBA)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- California Medical Association
- American Society of Physician Executives
- Clinical Robotics Surgery Association
- American Society of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies
- American Association for Physician Leadership
- Pancreas Club
At Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, he serves on the following boards & committees:
- Director of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery
- Director of Robotic Surgery Steering Committee
- Cancer Chair and Cancer Liaison Physician of the Cancer Committee – Commission on Cancer / American College of Surgeons – PHCHC
- Cancer Liaison Physician – Providence St Joseph Health Los Angeles Area Network
- Providence Holy Cross Foundation Board of Governors
- Oncology Services Advisory Council
- Robotic Surgery Clinical Focus Group – Providence Saint Joseph Health
- Peer Review Committee – PHCHC
- Director of Southern California Hepatobiliary Pancreatic and Robotic Surgery Institute
- Co-Chair Los Angeles Executive Advisory Council, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (PANCAN)
- Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
- University of California, Irvine (Bachelor of Science)
Residency & Fellowships:
- Cleveland Clinic Training- Pancreatic Surgery
- UCSF Fresno Medical Education General Surgery Residency- Chief Resident
- UCSF Fresno Medical Education Program – General Surgery Residency
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center – Surgical Internship
- American Board of Surgery, General Surgery
- California Department of Public Health Fluoroscopy Supervisor and Operator
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Provider
- Advanced Trauma Life Support, Provider
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Provider
Awards & Recognitions:
- Excellence in Research Award – UC Irvine 1997
- Resident of the Month – UCSF Fresno Department of Surgery 2006
- Fresno Magazine Best Doctors Issue- Best Surgeon 2010
- Fresno Magazine Best Doctors Issue- Best Laparoscopic Surgeon 2011
- American Cancer Society Physician Innovation Award, 2012
- Leukemia Lymphoma Society’s Man of the Year for Central CA, 2015
- UCSF Fresno Associate Clinical Professor 2015- Present
- Outstanding Leadership Award for his role in CMC Cancer Committee, 2017
- 2nd Place Fundraiser PurpleStride Los Angeles PANCAN Pancreatic Cancer Walk 2018
- 2nd Place Fundraiser PurpleStride Los Angeles PANCAN Pancreatic Cancer Walk 2019
- 3rd Place Fundraiser PurpleStride Los Angeles PANCAN Pancreatic Cancer Walk 2022
- Guide to America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of Research- Top Surgeon Colon and Rectal Surgery 2018
- Outstanding Performance Award, Commission on Cancer – Cancer Liaison Program, Top Ten in United States, 2021
- Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctors 2021, 2022
- Adjunct Clinical Instructor of Surgery – Donald L Morton Complex General Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program, Saint John’s Cancer Institute 2021-present
Make an appointment at SCMSC
We look forward to welcoming you
Schedule an evaluation with the doctors at Southern California Multi-Specialty Center.